Now your child is in Year 1, they are expected to complete weekly homework. Homework in Year 1 consists of:
- Reading - your child will bring home a reading book on Tuesday and Friday. Please spend at least 10 minutes a day reading with your child so they can practise their phonics skills. Ask your child questions about the book they have read to see if they have understood the story. Please record reading comments in your child's reading record. If nothing is record we presume your child hasn't read and therefore we will not change their reading book.
- Spellings - your child will bring home spellings on a Monday. They need to practise their spellings using the spelling sheet provided. Children are tested on their spellings on Fridays. Children also need to know how to read and spell all of the Year 1 spellings by the end of the academic year.
- Number bonds - your child will bring home a number bonds sheet on Monday. Number bonds are designed for children to practise their rapid recall of simple number relationships. Sheets need to be returned on Friday.
- Termly homework project - your child will have a project to complete each term linked to the current term's learning. A letter will be sent home detailing the context of each project and suggested ideas. Of course, your child may choose to complete their homework in a different way. Children have a date to bring their projects back to school in order to celebrate projects in a special assembly.
- TT Rockstars - your child has been given a TT Rockstars login at the front of their reading record. This is optional homework and therefore challenges aren't set by your child's class teacher.